Monday 31 August 2009

Fast Forward to Now

Ok guys, Fast Forward 4 weeks.

I bought a bike! It's a He. :-)

 
mmmm bike
I bought some running shoes, after great deliberation! They're both She's, although only one is pictured.

 
I also bought a Tri Suit. This is neither a he or she as that would be strange...
On to the training though. 4 hard wet weeks have passed, and I've been concentrating on the swimming. Alot. I literally haven't washed my hair all month as I'm swimming atleast once a day. Please don't judge me, I'm not a dirty person.
But, from my slow start of not being able to manage 2 lengths without being completely puffed out, I've now built this upto 40 lengths, with a massive thanks to a couple of people who have been helping me correct my technique. Apparently, the main problem is that i swim like this:


Please note that the similarities between us aren't that i wear a suit, and i lie on my back, but the fact his legs are apart. Apparently, I'm more of a starfish than a Pisces, which, understandably, causes a great deal of drag, and makes me look like i have some sort of spasm when i kick. But, as messed up as I may look, the fact is that i can now swim a kilometre. :)
I've also been cycling as much as possible and did a great ride in Richmond Park with my training partner Allison, and also cycled to and from work when i can, reaching a top speed (as my cycle computer tells me) of 59.9km/h, which I'm going to assume is 60km/h. And that was uphill!
No, not really.
So, my training the last week has been.....
Monday -------> 550m worth of Swim drills + 400m race pace + 400m race pace.
Tuesday -------> 800m swim
Wednesday ---> Progressive Interval Run Training (Not nice!) + 500m swim drills
Thursday -------> Boot Camp Training
Friday ---------> Rest
Saturday -------> 8k cycle,   400m, 200m, 100m, 50m swim, timed, with 2 min rest between sets,   8k cycle
Sunday --------> Rest



4 weeks left till my debut Tri - I'm doing the Hever Castle Sprint (400m swim, 20k bike, 4k run) on the 27th September, and the Warwickshire SuperSprint (200m, 23k, 2.5k) the week after.

My only HUGE worry (because there are loads of little ones), is the open water swim. I have done one session in open water, and I almost had a panic attack because i couldn't touch the bottom. This needs to be corrected quickly because i assume the lake in Hever is more than 1m deep? And also the transitions, as i haven't looked at these at all yet.

But apart from that, I think I'm on track, and I've had a little think about an estimated time, although i have no benchmarks whatsoever to work off.  I've come up with...

400m Open water swim - 10 minutes, or Drown

T1                                  - 3 minutes

20k bike                        - 45 minutes (Does anyone know how hilly it is?)

T2                                 - 1 minute

4k run                            - 19 minutes

Not sure how accurate these are but we'll see. This puts me at 1hr 18min, so I'm going to set my target at sub 1hr 20min, and I'll probably be happy with sub 1hr 25min. Is this a decent estimation or am I massively off?

Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment